On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 10:43:40 +0100
"John ." <comp.j...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>Hello list,
>
>Can anyone please recommend to me a program that will stress-test a
>disk? If it matters, two are connected by firewire, another via usb.
>Filesystem is ufs. I think I have a disk that might be about to fail,
>but it only sometimes errors when under stress. I need to see if it
>was a fluke or to really make it fail, so that I can get rid of it.
>
>thanks

The best one I know of is SpinRite <http://grc.com>. I have actually
used it to rebuild disks that I was told by professional technicians
were beyond hope. Of course, it is not free, so you might not be
interested.

One feature I like about it is that it creates its own start-up disk. It
is totally system independent.

--
Jerry
ges...@yahoo.com