yes, you are mis-understanding

samba itself is a NT4-type domain.

samba can use authentication backends that include passwd files, LDAP
and kerberos.  Active directory is a requirement to use LDAP, whereas
samba is offering it as a auth backend only.

fine line, I know.

IOW, whereas Active Directory - as a technology:
  Uses kerberos for authorization
  Uses LDAP for a storage backend for Kerberos
  Uses u...@domain logins (thanks to Kerberos),
  Uses other techs not related to this thread

NT4-style domains - as a technology:
  Not using Kerberos
  Not using LDAP storage

Samba allows it's authorization backend to offer more possibilities
than NT4's own methods.  Such as passwd files, LDAP, Kerberos, etc.

It's technology vs technology, not product vs product.