Chris Maness schrieb:

> Well I am using the dump command, and I am not sure if I want to dump
> to the same partition that I am backing up.
>
> Can I use rsync to pipe the dump output via ssh?

rsync works on files, dump on filesystems.

If you want to use dump, the fine FreeBSD manuals says:

# /sbin/dump -0uan -f - /usr |                  \
        gzip -2 | ssh -c blowfish               \
        targetu...@targetmachine.example.com    \
        dd of=/mybigfiles/dump-usr-l0.gz

man ssh for setting up authentication with keys.

On the mac, you must enable remote login under "Systempanel -> Sharing
-> Services" if I remember correctly.

--
Timm