I installed a software named "urchin" on my FBSD 7.2 box. Unfortunately, it didn't come with an rc.d script to automate startup and shutdown. And even more unfortunately, I can't seem to get my head around the concepts in "Practical rc.d scripting in BSD" (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/rc-scripting/rcng-daemon.html).

This is the command that starts the app:

/usr/local/urchin/bin/urchinctl

And here are the options:

Usage: urchinctl [-v] [-h] [-e] [-s|-w] [-p port] action
  where:
     -v  prints out the version of urchinctl
     -h  prints out this information
     -e  activates encryption (SSL) in the webserver
     -s  performs the action on the Urchin scheduler ONLY
     -w  performs the action on the Urchin webserver ONLY
     -p  specifies the port for the webserver to listen on

     action is either: start, stop, restart, or status

     start:   starts the webserver and scheduler
     stop:    stops the webserver and scheduler
     restart: stops and then starts the webserver and scheduler
     status:  prints out whether the webserver and scheduler are running

  By default, the action is performed on both the webserver and the
  schedulers unless the -s or -w options are specified

All I want to do is create a script within the rc.d framework that runs "/usr/local/urchin/bin/urchinctl start" when the system boots and "/usr/local/urchin/bin/urchinctl stop" when the system shuts down.

Following the examples in the guide mentioned above, here is my attempt at that file:

#!/bin/sh
# PROVIDE: urchin
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING
# KEYWORD: shutdown
#
# Add the following line to /etc/rc.conf to enable urchin:
# urchin_enable="YES" (bool):   Set to "NO" by default.
#                               Set it to "YES" to enable urchin.
. /etc/rc.subr
name="urchin"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`
command="/usr/local/urchin/bin/urchinctl "
eval "${rcvar}=\${${rcvar}:-'NO'}"
load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

I have also ensured that 'urchin_enable="YES"' is in /etc/rc.conf. However when I run the rc.d script, the urchinctl appears to run but doesn't like whatever arguments that are passed. See this output:

urchin# ./urchin-server start
Starting urchin.

Usage: urchinctl [-v] [-h] [-e] [-s|-w] [-p port] action
<snipped rest of options already shown above>

I'm sure I'm missing some simple concept. I'd really appreciate a kick in the right direction.

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!