--On June 10, 2009 6:12:23 PM -0700 Drew Tomlinson <d...@mykitchentable.net> wrote:

I installed a software named "urchin" on my FBSD 7.2 box.
Unfortunately, it didn't come with an rc.d script to automate startup
and shutdown.  And even more unfortunately, I can't seem to get my head
around the concepts in "Practical rc.d scripting in BSD"
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/rc-scripting/rcng-daemon.html).

This is the command that starts the app:

/usr/local/urchin/bin/urchinctl

And here are the options:

Usage: urchinctl [-v] [-h] [-e] [-s|-w] [-p port] action
   where:
      -v  prints out the version of urchinctl
      -h  prints out this information
      -e  activates encryption (SSL) in the webserver
      -s  performs the action on the Urchin scheduler ONLY
      -w  performs the action on the Urchin webserver ONLY
      -p  specifies the port for the webserver to listen on

      action is either: start, stop, restart, or status

      start:   starts the webserver and scheduler
      stop:    stops the webserver and scheduler
      restart: stops and then starts the webserver and scheduler
      status:  prints out whether the webserver and scheduler are running

   By default, the action is performed on both the webserver and the
   schedulers unless the -s or -w options are specified

All I want to do is create a script within the rc.d framework that runs
"/usr/local/urchin/bin/urchinctl start" when the system boots and
"/usr/local/urchin/bin/urchinctl stop" when the system shuts down.

Following the examples in the guide mentioned above, here is my attempt
at that file:

# !/bin/sh
# PROVIDE: urchin
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING
# KEYWORD: shutdown
#
# Add the following line to /etc/rc.conf to enable urchin:
# urchin_enable="YES" (bool):   Set to "NO" by default.
#                               Set it to "YES" to enable urchin.
. /etc/rc.subr
name="urchin"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`
command="/usr/local/urchin/bin/urchinctl "
eval "${rcvar}=\${${rcvar}:-'NO'}"
load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

I have also ensured that 'urchin_enable="YES"' is in /etc/rc.conf.
However when I run the rc.d script, the urchinctl appears to run but
doesn't like whatever arguments that are passed.  See this output:

urchin# ./urchin-server start
Starting urchin.

Usage: urchinctl [-v] [-h] [-e] [-s|-w] [-p port] action
<snipped rest of options already shown above>

I'm sure I'm missing some simple concept.  I'd really appreciate a kick
in the right direction.

Where is urchin located? /usr/local/bin? /usr/local/bin/urchin/bin? Or somewhere else? Is urchinctl a shell or perl script?

Paul Schmehl, If it isn't already
obvious, my opinions are my own
and not those of my employer.