On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Jason wrote:

Hi,

I have just started getting into the realm of kernel building, and I have
a question in so far as upgrades.

Is it possible to do a freebsd-update fetch then install, reboot, and then
install again to get to the latest release you want to run?

Update /usr/src with sources and build a kernel from that, and use that
kernel.

In general when you make an updated kernel you should rebuild and install
world too.  This doesn't apply to building a different (custom) kernel when
world has not changed.  Okay, it is often true that within major versions
you can run with an updated kernel on the old world for a long time without
encountering a problem, but problems from kernel-world mismatch are not
extremely rare.

If and when you install the sources, check the procedures in UPADATING (near
the bottom) for best practices procedure.

After this, assuming this is the correct path, can the same path be used to
upgrade other servers, and then just plop the kernel on (same hardware.)

With the above concern about kernel-world mismatch in mind, yes this is
likely to work, but the best practice would be to make a release.  This
should work even if there is a minor, perhaps unknown, variation in
hardware.

I am not sure if this is the right path, but looking to understand it a
little better.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html