well, guys, i just pulled the trigger and install kernel and
        world.  upon reboot most things worked.  i'm having trouble with
        the ntp stuff and need help there.

        who can tell me what idiot thing is wrong with my ntp.conf file:

drwx------  2 root  wheel       512 Dec 24  2007 ntp
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel       157 Jan 19  2008 ntp.conf

        the ntp directory is/has been empty.  in ntp.conf i thought this
        was correct, but upon reboot, i get sudden errors (with 7.2)

sage# cat ntp.conf
server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
server 2.us.pool.htp.org
driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift
restrict 10.47.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap

        anybody?

        gary

        ps: i'm having similar problems on 'tao.thought.org' where i live
        90% of the time, so a fix on my server might fix my desktop
        freebsd....

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php