On Jun 17, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Dave wrote:

Hello,
        I've got a freebsd 7.2 machine that i need to use for banner
filtering, addzapping and filtering out all the junk that comes along with adds windows viruses trojans things like that before they can get to my internal clients. Previously i used squid and dansguardian but found that slowed things down to a crawl and at times was to restrictive at times not restrictive enough. I've also tried squidguard but that didn't meet my needs
either, it didn't seem to be being maintained.

I'm using snort_inline with FreeBSD 7.0, IPFW, and IF_BRIDGE. Massive traffic running through it and no performance issues. Dropping sessions is effortless but there are more complex ways to filter and pass which sounds like what you would want to do. I've not experimented with that. There isn't a lot of documentation on set up and what there is states that it doesn't work. That's out of date because it does, quite well really. The docs out there for snort_inline and non-bridged configurations are still useful. I don't have a link but found
them with googling.