done using ifconfig_em0_name="ext0" in rc.conf.

I find I have to give the ext0 interface an IP address in order for routing
and packet filtering to work on the attached VLANs.

You have to set up IP address to vlans, not main interface. It's the way vlan's work.

Having 2 vlan's is like having 2 ethernet cards, while physically having one. switch is responsible to segregate your traffic and connect one "virtual ethernet" to right clients, and second to other clients - exactly how you configured switch.