On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 04:56:34PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> >     After a lot of trial and error I have a PHP version of radio buttons
> >     working in a test.php.  It asks the user to rate the article/story
> >     in standard Lykert (5-way) methodology.  1) Liked ... to 5) Disliked.
> >
> >     The code works; still polishing for errors.  I need a way to store the
> >     results, tho.  So, for story baz.php, say, should I save the count of
> >     times rated, then average [%f] the ratings?  Or is there a more swift
> >     algorithm?
>
> In my experience, you're best off storing the raw data, then generating
> statistics in a separate step.  That way, if you decide that you want to
> generate different statistics (mean vs. mode, for example) you still have
> the raw data to do so.
>
> If you're storing the results in a flat file, just have have the script
> append the new results to the end of the file, then have another process
> that comes along and reads the file, and generates a different file with
> the statistics.
>
> Of course, this is even easier if you're using a database.

        You're right about saving the raw data.  I know how to do that in a flat
        file, but other than having used mysql for PHPBB, no idea.  Shouldn't i
        only need that name of the file and that rating for mysql?  I do know
how
        to create a database in mysql, but no more.  Can you show me what is
        required to grab from i need from the radiobutton data?

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php