On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Aryeh Friedman<aryeh.friedman at
gmail.com> wrote:
> What CPUTYPE should I put in /etc/make.conf for:
>
> CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (3210.85-MHz 686-class CPU)

OP is referring to CPUTYPE ( see make.conf(5) ) , not the cpu string
in the kernel configuration file, so HAMMER isn't a valid choice.  It
depends on what compiler
you are using: if you are using the base compiler, which is a patched
version of gcc 4.2,  I think that you want:

CPUTYPE=athlon64

But if you're using gcc >= 4.3, with the right toolchain, or llvm, you
may be able to use the newer:

CPUTYPE=amdfam10

to take advantage of your CPU's newer instruction sets. As someone
said, the effect this will have in compiling may be different when you
are using FreeBSD i386 as opposed to FreeBSD amd64.

b.