On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 07:29:29 -0800 (PST), Peter Elsner wrote:

> Sure...   I'm almost positive there are ports available that do that
> sort
> of thing,

I see a number of ports that can do the Client side but none to run as a
server.
> I have 2 Perl scripts that do exactly what you want.  (well almost)...
>
> One sits on the client and runs ifconfig -L <device> to a text file
> about
> every 10 to 20 minutes.
> The text file is then parsed and if the IP address is different from
the
> most recent one, it sends it to the server.
>
> The server runs another script every 5 minutes and if it finds an IP
> address, it
> then parses that, and updates a db entry in the namedb database and
sends
> an ndc restart to named.
Thanks, I figured there would be scripts for the BSD side, the PPoE ADSL
FreeBSD box I have out there automatically e-mails me it's address when
it changes or reboots but I'm hoping to make get the other devices
(Netgear, Linksys) addresses too. We map inbound ports for remote
support on these. Dropping FreeBSD boxes out there would be nice but the
Netgears are easier to source and configure for the local user should
one blow up.