[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[Sorry - forgot to CC the list...]
For some backups at work, I'm thinking of getting a DVD burner.  I was
looking at the Sony dru500a, since its compatible with all the various
dvd media out there.  Has anyone had any luck/experience with this drive
(or any dvd burner)?

I have the Sony DRU500a drive (internal IDE version). It works well: $ mkisofs -r -o dvd.iso /some/large/tree/no/bigger/than/4.4g [snip] ## You might not need to do the next command more than once ## per DVD. Substitute dvd-rw for dvd+rw if you're using that. $ burncd -F -f /dev/acd0 format dvd+rw $ burncd -f /dev/acd0 dvdrw dvd.iso You might need to be root for those burncd commands; I'm not sure. I think there's a cdrecord look-alike called dvdrecord, but I have no experience with it. I'm not sure what the commands look like if you're using DVD-R or DVD+R, but I assume something like `burncd -f /dev/acd0 data dvd.iso fixate' would work.

What version of FreeBSD does this work in? Do I need 5.0 or will the latest 4.X work?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies