Hi,

Just today I found the marvel of LaTeX while looking over a quick how-to for LaTeX. I was using a Linux system at work and would like to install it on my FreeBSD system at home since I've been looking for something like this for exchanging math questions I have with a friend who's helping me understand mathematics as I pursue my degree. LaTeX is just what I've been looking for. However, when I went to find the port by doing "make search name=latex" I was returned so many hits, frankly, I'm overwhelmed. What do I need to install from ports to get the LaTeX "language" on my system, show the markup using the native DVI and more importantly, write pdf file from the markup? The tutorial I was going off of was using something called pdftex I think, but not sure. I sent myself a link to the tutorial so I wouldn't have to remember. Oh, it should be obvious, but what do I need to make sure of so that I've got all of the math rendering capability at my fingertips?

There's just so much there. Obviously, LaTeX is much more than I thought it was. I'm looking forward to understanding it more.

Andy