On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 02:05:29PM -0400, Brad Mettee wrote:
> If a system is stable and ports are up to date, serving mail & web pages as
> needed, is there any reason to update from this:
> FreeBSD ns1.pchotshots.com 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24
> 10:35:36 UTC
> 2008     r...@driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> To something newer? (like 7.2 stable)
>
> Would there be any noticeable benefit from an update?

It depends. There are vulnerabilities in kernel and userland fixed
between 7.0-RELEASE and 7.2-RELEASE-p2. See
http://security.freebsd.org/advisories.html If any of these
vulneratbilities affect your system you should see if there are
workarounds mentioned. If not it would be best to upgrade.

If you subscribe tot the freebsd-announce mailing-list, you'll be warned
when a vulnerability is found. You can then judge if it is wise to apply
the fix.

In general, I would follow the minor version branch (RELENG_7_X,
7.2-RELEASE-pX) to pick up fixes for vulnerabilities.

Roland