On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:57:13 -0400, Daniel Underwood <djuatde...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Whenever I run the particular Linux MATLAB installation I have access
> to, it must be run from the command-line.  Consequently, I have the
> MATLAB gui and an open terminal window (which only gets in the way).
> Is there a way to "hide" this terminal window completely?
> If I close
> it, MATLAB closes.

Of course.

> I know I can move it to another Workspace, but I'm
> hoping there's another way.

This is a function the window manager (i. e. XFCE 4) will have
to do.

Maybe you can do a "trick" to not have a terminal window. How about
running the MATLAB program from a kind of "Start:" dialog. I know it
existed in XFCE 3. Create an icon for it, and as the command line,
enter the MATLAB starting command.

Or does MATLAB explicitlely require to run from out of a terminal
session?

> I don't mind that the Terminal window opens whenever I run MATLAB, I
> would just like to be able to hide it each time.

Check for some kind of "minimize after start" option in XFCE 4.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0