Hi,

I have a FreeBSD 6.2 system on which inetd was replaced with xinetd. Ever
since, I can't seem to get an ssh connection to the box, which was working
well with inetd. sshd is not running independently, but is spawned by inetd
(or xinetd) when there's a connection request. Here are a few things that
changed after bringing xinetd onboard.

/etc/rc.conf:
-------------------
#inetd_enable="YES"
xinetd_enable="YES"

xinetd.conf
----------------
service ssh
{
      socket_type             = stream
      wait                         = no
      protocol                   = tcp
      user                        = root
      server                      = /usr/sbin/sshd
      port                         = 22
      log_on_failure           += USERID
}

The telnet connections work well with xinetd, though. It's with ssh that I'm
seeing the problem. This is what is seen when a local connection is
initiated:

$ ssh -v d...@127.0.0.1
OpenSSH_4.2p1 FreeBSD-20050903, OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct 2004
debug1: Connecting to 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /var/home/diag/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /var/home/diag/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /var/home/diag/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: ssh_exchange_identification: sshd re-exec requires execution with an
absolute path

Any idea on what's going on?

Thanks,
Madhu