On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:53:42PM -0800, Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 July 2009 12:28:40 Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> > At first glance, it looks like the iwi equivalent is dev.iwi.0.radio,
> > where 1 is on and 0 is off.  It won't let me set it to 0, though,
> > claiming it's a read-only sysctl setting.
> >
> > . . . and trying to set the debug.iwi sysctl setting to 1 caused the
> > computer to reboot (not intended behavior, I'm sure).  Bah.  I wonder if
> > there's something wrong with my driver.
>
> There is plenty wrong with the driver, also with the product. Unfortunately,
> Intel does not support the FreeBSD team with developers for the wireless
> cards
> as they do with the wired cards and the iwi driver is particularly plagued.

Well . . . that's bad news, but it's good to know, I guess.  Thanks.  I
wonder if my inability to turn off the adapter is a driver issue.  There
are times I can get it to turn off -- but other times, I can't.

> At present the best working Intel wireless on FreeBSD is the wpi, but it is
> on
> the virge of the same fate as Benjamin Close is lacking time to support it.
>
> There's a group of people working on improving iwn for the 5000 series,
> effort
> spawned from this list, but as of yet I haven't seen anything hit the source
> tree.

Thanks for the information.

Quoth Christopher Hitchens: "What can be asserted without proof can be
dismissed without proof."