Rob wrote:
I'm new to FreeBSD and installed a base 7.0-RELEASE system and have been running it for a while with ZFS and gmirror partitions. I've never updated since install, so I'm attempting to do so now, but I'm having no luck. I'm following the upgrade instructions in the 7.2-RELEASE release notes, but I get an error I don't know what to do with. I'm doing:

# freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.2-RELEASE
<Answer a few questions>
# freebsd-update install
Installing updates...chflags: ///usr/bin/CC: Operation not supported

I tried updating to the latest 7.0-RELEASE thinking there was a fix, but got:

# freebsd-update fetch
<Answer a few questions>
# freebsd-update install
Installing updates...chflags: ///usr/bin/dig: Operation not supported

Am I doing something wrong? I haven't found any reference to this error, and while being very experienced with linux systems am new (as previously stated) to FreeBSD and am not sure where to start to track this down.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rob

chflags is not supported on ZFS. See this thread for possible workaround:

http://forums.freebsd.org/archive/index.php/t-3786.html