On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 08:35:27PM +0100, AG wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I've been tempted for quite some years now to try FreeBSD, so I am
> wanting to dual-boot the most up-to-date version (which I *think* is
> 7.2?) with Debian (cn: Squeeze) on an AMD Sempron Dual Core 2300 sata
> machine, with a Debian configuration on /home.
>
> This is a project that I am going to be playing with over the next few
> months, so know that I have lots of reading to do, and the calibre of
> FreeBSD docs looks impressive.  Kudos.  At this point, I'm just wanting
> to do a bit of straw poll about these systems playing together,
> especially around the UID on /home/* and whether that poses a problem
> accessing the same files from different OSs?  Just interested in general
> thoughts and opinions, if people are cool with that.

I am not quite sure what you mean here.   But, you would create
a completely different slice to install the FreeBSD and it would
have a completely different set of device names.   How you mount
then - as /home, /usr, /, /var, /tmp for example doesn't matter.
If you mounted a partition from the Debian slice as /home, it would
be just that, the Debian device mounted as /home in FreeBSD.

I would not recommend you trying to use that as the place to
put users' base login directories (home directories) on FreeBSD,
though it might be possible.  Instead, create a /home in the
FreeBSD slice - it could just be a directory under one large / (root)
or be its own partition and use it for FreeBSD login dirs.
Then figure out how to mount the Debian partition on its own
mount point - something like  /dhome  and access it separately.
How well you can mount and access that device will depend on
what type of device it was created as when Debian was built.

////jerry