Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been busy. Anyway, I don't have a sound card. I have Matsonic ms8127c mother board that comes w/ sound support. I ran kldload snd.ko, but it didn't seem to do anything to my dmesg. It certainly didn't say anything about pcm. I've tried working through your insructions along w/ the hand book, but I really haven't been able to sort anything out. I guess I don't really understand how audio works in BSD. It seemed to me that all the instructions on the net seem to be for systems w/ sound cards, and I don't know they would change for systems w/o cards. ~ Desmond

From: David Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: desmond james <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Configuring sound
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:54:30 -0600

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:17:19PM +0000, desmond james wrote:
> >This is a fairly recent FreeBSD? The instructions you quote sound >quite
> >old.
>
> I'm running 4.7 and I thought I had a recent version of the handbook. I'll
> try give it a try and let you know.

Still didn't say anything about what kind of sound hardware is being
troublesome to configure.

To the best of my knowledge, "kldload snd.ko" loads and probes for every
sound card known to FreeBSD. Altho in practice you proably don't want
all those loaded in the kernel.

Just the other day I used the technique described earlier to configure
an otherwise unknown Philips sound card.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]