John Nielsen wrote:
On Thursday 23 July 2009 19:44:15 Steve Bertrand wrote:
I'd appreciate any feedback on tweaks that I can make (either to VMWare,
or FreeBSD itself) to make the virtualized environment much more efficient.

See above about storage. Similar questions come up periodically; searching the archives if you haven't already may prove fruitful. You may want to try running with different kernel HZ settings for instance.

You should certainly try setting both kern.hz and vfs.read_max in the FreeBSD VM. I would recommend:

In loader.conf:
kern.hz=100

In /etc/sysctl.conf:
vfs.read_max=32

You may also try increasing vfs.hirunningspace. I've had good results with setting it to 32MB on write-intensive systems. Tuning vfs.read_max can give some boosts to physical-hardware FreeBSD systems as well.

-Steve Polyack