On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Polytropon wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:02:39 -0400, Bob Hall <rjh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Aside from the ctrl-alt-bksp bug, this has been the easiest X setup I've
ever done. I've tried it with and without hal and both are easy to set
up. Given my level of ignorance, that's saying something. I've seen a
lot of complaints about Xorg's new system, but I like it.

I'm sure it works very well on up-to-date hardware, but on
older hardware, where all the autodetect magic won't work
properly, problems may occur. Furthermore, if you need to
have a "non-standard" keyboard layout, e. g. the german one,
this has to be set in a different place now. As far as I
know, HAL and DBUS, along with FreeBSD 8, work very well for
different automounting scenarios (CD, DVD, USB).

Soon I will encounter the joy of the new X modularity
and dependencies. :-)

It's still worth mentioning that it's possible to run X
in the "old fashioned" way, but DBUS and HAL have to be
excluded at compile time.

Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off" should disable hal devices even if xorg-server has been built with hal.