I have found http://docs.freebsd.org/info/gcc/gcc.ifo.Optimize_Options.html.

I am about to build a new kernel am starting to dig a bit deeper into things I
have, until now, taken for granted.

The above link is very informative in technical terms about how to control
optimization but I find it difficult to interpret the info in a way that tells
me what might work best on my own system (Intel quad Core) with 8G of ram.

Current kernel is GENERIC but as I said I am going to build a new one.
# uname-a
FreeBSD dns1.vizion2000.net 7.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Wed Jun
24 00:14:35 UTC 2009     r...@amd64-
builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Could anyone please point me in the right direction to achieve greater
understanding of what optimizations may be most appropriate for compiling a
kernel for my system. The docs are very good on the "how" but are not very
helpful when it comes to solving the "what" "why" and "when" questions when
the "who" is a dummy <chuckles>.

Thanks in advance

David