Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:58:58 -0400, PJ <af.gour...@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> Could somone explain to me why an upgrade from sysinstall would
>> overwrite partitions; especially when the instructions indicate that
>> files will not be overwritten?
>>

> I'm not sure how to explain. It's possible that sysinstall recreated
> the slices and paritions, or at least the partitions were marked as
> to be formatted ("Y" after the file system type in the partition
> editor).
>
> Because I've never used the "Upgrade" functionality of sysinstall,
> I'm not even sure what it is supposed to do.

Well, whatever it was it sure screwed up my system; not only FBSD but
the whole machine became un bootable when some xcb or something like
that could not be loaded because of some problem with a python port. And
there is the crux of the matter... thre's too much sloppiness and
overlapping in the way that the ports/packages and the update/upgrade
methods are implemented and especially, documented.
Due to diligence and a great deal of my time, I managed to save all the
files that were on the system and recovered the XP disks so everything
can now be re-installed and used.
The only "victim" in the end is FreeBSD as I will never touch it again.
It has been going downhill since way back; but I think I just preferred
to stay with my illusions and tolerated the waste of time and effort
reconfiguring, searching for answers and reinstalling, rebooting and the
whole shebang under the aura of "learning". So learn I did. Don't touch
it; it sucks.
There are other systems better than FBSD, so g'bye all. >:o :-P

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."