On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:00:09 +0100, David Southwell <da...@vizion2000.net> wrote:
> I took a look at the web pages and found the following choices:
>
> RELENG_7_BP
> RELENG_7_2_BP
> RELENG_7_2_0_RELEASE
> RELENG_7_2
>
> But could not find anything that told me where -p2 fits into this!!

The -p2 is appended when you follow RELENG_7_2, which is the security
branch (release branch) of FreeBSD 7.2. You will get ONLY the patches.
For example, when the second patch is applied and you download, compile
and install the OS, uname will give 7.2-RELEASE-p2.

If you follow RELENG_7, you get the stable branch. Here, more than
just the patches are delivered to you when updating the sources. So
you won't get -p2, but something like 7.0-STABLE together with your
compile date. As far as I know, /etc/motd will be updated and then
show 7.2-STABLE-20090101 (the proper date of course).

The -STABLE branch is a bit experimental, allthough it includes those
things that are considered to be running well.

If you are interested in the "bleeding edge" of FreeBSD's development,
you follow RELENG_7. This will then deliver the -CURRENT branch to you
with all modifications. It may happen that a -CURRENT of today doesn't
compile, but tomorrow, it will do. It's considered to be the experimental
branch where changes can appear and disappear.

> To synchronize src and keep up to date do I use:
>
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_2
> will this automatically track the latest version in 7_2  and therefore keep
> track with 7.2-RELEASE-p2 or later??

Exactly. You follow the -STABLE branch of FreeBSD 7.2 and will always get
the latest *stable* 7.2 sources, but won't reach 7.3 with this setting.

> or
> do I need to use something like:
>
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_2-p2

No. As far as I know, you can't update to a specific patchlevel in this
way. But using CVS correctly - don't ask me how to do this :-) - you can
update your system to any point of time in development.

> or
> something else!!

Or else. :-)

> Where can I find some explanation on this?

The handbook mentions it in its comparison between RELEASE and STABLE.

> Maybe something from this discussion could be added to the
> handbook/synching.html page so the choice of suffix for configuring cvsup
> could be made easier for those who are not familiar with the meaning of
> undocumented suffixing such as -p2 !!.

Good idea.

> Another could there possibly be some consistency between the output from
> uname
> -a and the suffixing used for synching of the src be practicable.

The "problem" is that there are different naming conventions.

> Please do
> not bite my head off if it is not practical -- I acknowledge it is a question
> born of ignorance and confusion <chuckles>

I already had horsehead goulash with sauerkraut, thanks. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0