--On Tuesday, August 11, 2009 01:18:32 -0500 Wayne Sierke <w...@au.dyndns.ws> wrote:

On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 08:34 -0700, Richard Mahlerwein wrote:
I'm redoing the whole process in single user mode.  My guess is I
goofed something during mergemaster and devd.conf is messed up.
(Mergemaster is, undeniably, my least favorite utility).

I lost practically all of my 'mergemaster pain' when I adopted the habit
of using it with -iUP options:

        -i      Automatically install any files that do not exist in the des-
                tination directory.
        -P      Preserve files that you replace in
                /var/tmp/mergemaster/preserved-files-<date>, or another
                directory you specify in your mergemaster rc file.
        -U      Attempt to auto upgrade files that have not been user modi-
                fied.

"Try it - you'll like it!"

That's one way to do it.  Another is to use /etc/mergemaster.rc.  Here's mine:

# less /etc/mergemaster.rc
# Automatically install files that do not exist
AUTO_INSTALL='yes'
# Automatically upgrade files that have not been edited
AUTO_UPGRADE='yes'
# Ignore files that I don't want changed
IGNORE_FILES='/etc/motd'
# Do not display changes that only affect whitespace
DIFF_FLAG="'.Bub'"
# Ignore CVS id lines to stop replacing files where only that line has changed
DIFF_OPTIONS='-I$FreeBSD:.*[$]'

I never have issues with mergemaster because of this file.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst