Roland Smith wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 03:00:31PM -0400, PJ wrote:
>> version 7.2 GENERIC kernel
>> on bootup,
>> dmesg shows plip0: WARNING: using obsoleted IFF_NEEDSGIANT flag

 >>Is this significant? Of what?

>It means that someone should update this driver. But unless you are using your
>parallel port for IP traffic (and who does these days?) it won't bother you.

I do, occasionally.  It comes in handy with some older hardware, and
in an emergency.

As computers with multiple processors became more common, large parts
of the operating system were rewritten to work both safely and
efficiently with multiple processors; however, there remain some areas
where more work needs to be done, and developers added such messages
as a reminder and a warning.  Up until recently, plip(4) was one of
those places, but John Baldwin fixed this for FreeBSD 8.

>> Then, GEOM_LABEL: bunch of labels removed....
>> Same question?

>The geom software now automatically assigns (unchanging) labels to UFS
>filesystems. This enables people to mount filesystems correctly even if the
>harddisk is moved to a different controller. E.g. /dev/da4s1g might become
>/dev/da6s1g, but its labeled device /dev/ufsid/482e0880cf225c60 would not
>change. The labels are removed if a partition is mounted, which the warning
>mentions. It is harmless.
>
>> And how to I get rid of the GEOM_LABEL: stuff - it seems unnecessary...

>You might have to dig into the geom code... :-)

If you really don't want it, remove:

options   GEOM_LABEL

from your kernel and rebuild.  You can always load it as a kernel
module if you later find that you need it.

b.