On Aug 17, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
Chuck Swiger wrote:
Ports are not branched-- there is no STABLE or CURRENT for ports. The same ports tree can be used on 6.x, 7.x, and 8-CURRENT.

1. With what is the STABLE/CURRENT tag associated?
a) "core operating system version number"
b) the ports collection
c) something else

The core OS. If you install 7.2-RELEASE, and then update the OS software against 7-STABLE (which is CVS tag RELENG_7), you will get security fixes and other changes which will eventually become 7.3- RELEASE.

If you just want security updates and no other changes, you'd update against RELENG_7_2 instead.

What are the repercussions of never updating the "core operating system version number"?
Well, you'll miss ongoing security updates and improvements to the system.

2. I thought security updates and improvements to the system would arrive via the ports mechanism. What kinds of things are not updated via ports? (My experience is with Gentoo where everything is updated via portage and there is no "core operating system version number").

In other platforms, everything is a package, and can be updated via portage, yum, etc. In the BSDs, the baseline or core OS is separate from installed ports or packages, and is updated separately from them.

Regards,
--
-Chuck