Roland Smith wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve here. But here is my
€0,02:

Create a group called 'usb'. Make every user that you want to be able to use
usb devices a member of this group. Next, add the following rules to your
active ruleset in /etc/devfs.rules:

add path 'da*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'msdosfs/*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'uscanner*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'usb*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group usb

And that is pretty much what I'm doing with two differences:
1. I'm using user name instead of designated group.
2. Following principle of least privilege I don't want to give him (which just happens to be myself) rights to anything other than my digital camera. Only this specific camera should trigger changes in ownership/rights of camera-related device nodes.

I know it looks a bit anal at first glance but it is not ;)
Michal
--
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war." -Flavius Vegetius Renatus