I appreciate the help thus far; as /rescue/csh in single user mode has moved
me past my first hurdle.  However, being the blundering newbie I am, I was
working in the /tmp directory, which seems to have been cleared (or is empty
for whatever reason in the current state.)  If it has been wiped, my
ld-elf.so.1 file has been wiped with it.  What to do?

Thanks much

Stew

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Mel Flynn <
mel.flynn+fbsd.questi...@mailing.thruhere.net<mel.flynn%2bfbsd.questi...@mailing.thruhere.net>