> Message: 26
> Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:17:10 -0700
> From: David Horwitt <dbo...@aogsquid.ucsd.edu>
> Subject: netbooks and sdhci
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,
> freebsd-mob...@freebsd.org
>
> I recently purchased an Asus Aspire One D250-1151, and
> am,overall,
> pleased with it (running 7,2-RELEASE).
> The alc ethernet is not supported in 7.2 (the ath0 wireless
> is), and I
> don't care about the video camera.
>
> The '5-in-1' media reader is, unfortunately for me, a USB
> device. (After
> some detective work, I determined that
> it uses a Reaktek RTS5101 or RTS5111). For my purposes (low
> level SDHC
> card access), I prefer hardware that is
> supported by the sdhci/mmc subsystem.

My initial assumption was that you are familiar with the specific type of
device you are asking about. Then, I remembered I was tempted by the SD
form-factor as well.

I think you are asking for trouble because SD cards support "Content Protection
for Recordable Media (CPRM)." One of the "features" is "'key revocation'
technology built into each card."

http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/

I also read that speed is hampered by the interface design because they wanted
something they could patent, rather than just re-implementing SPI (Serial
Peripheral Interface).

The SD card Association has a what would have been a promising floppy
replacement without those two deliberate design flaws.

If you are aware of that and sill want a SDHC reader, I don't have any reason
to stop you :)

Regards,

James Phillips

> So my question is: does anybody know _for sure_ of a
> hard-disk netbook
> with a media reader that uses the sdhci interface
> and is supported by FBSD 7.2 (supported = wireless,X,USB).

<SNIP!>