From: owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Bye
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:57 AM
To: 'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'
Subject: Re: Using mdconfig for swap space

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 07:52:59PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 04:51:20PM -0500, Peter Steele wrote:
>
> > Are there any advantages to using mdconfig and creating a virtual disk for
> > swap space as opposed to having a designated swap partition? For example, I
> > could do something like this:
>
> Unless I am missing something basic here, it seems like a bad idea to
> me - to carve out and use up some memory to use as extra storage for
> processes that need more memory that you have taken away to give to swap.
> That is self defeating.
>
> In addition, one use of swap is to write dumps to if there is a crash.
> If you put it in memory, it is gone when you reboot.

He's talking about using a swap file, rather than a dedicated partition on the
disk, not in RAM! Although it is slightly slower, as Chuck has already pointed
out, it might, in certain circumstances, be a somewhat more convenient solution
than repartitioning/reinstalling the whole system.

And as RW has said, the facility already exists and can be enabled with a
couple of knobs in /etc/rc.conf.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye