Drew Tomlinson wrote:
Daniel Bye wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:15:25AM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
I'm trying to do a search and replace in vim.  I have lines like this:
http://site1/dir/;
http://site2/dir/;LastName, FirstName;Phone;
http://site3/dir/;LastName, FirstName;
http://site4/dir/;

I'm want to match "http:*" and stop matching at the first ";". My basic regex is:

/http:.\+;/

But it's matching *all* the semi-colons. Thus I've Googled and tried various incatations to try and make my regex "non-greedy" but I can't seem to come up with the correct combination.

How can I write a regex that stops matching at the first semi-colon?

Tested in vi, not vim:

 /http:[^;]*/

Dan

Thanks for your reply. I tried it in vim (or more specifically, gvim 7.2) and your example matches all semi-colons. However in vi, it does stop at the first semi-colon as you say.

Can anyone please explain the difference?

Thanks,

Drew

Never mind. My mistake. The above does work in gvim. I had a "." (dot) after http:.

Thanks Mel & Dan!