On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:40:26AM +0100, Daniel Bye wrote:

> I remember having the devil's own job upgrading this a while ago. Try
> running the install manually - portinstall tends to obscure the real
> error message, making it harder to track down the specific problem. Doing
> it manually should at least let you see what's going wrong!

I should have thought of that myself.  Thanks for having patience and
giving me an informative response.

Quoth C. S. Lewis: "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong
road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right
road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most
progressive."