Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Last June, we had to shutdown our openldap server every night, I
> noticed that a simple halt(8) would leave the bdb backend database in
> a corrupted state.

As mentioned in the man page, halt(8) should not be used for regular
shutting down of the system. shutdown(8) is preferred for several
reasons, not the least of which is that it will call /etc/rc.shutdown
which will (among other things) run through your rc.d scripts in
reverse order with the 'stop' argument so that those services get
clean shutdowns. If you want to turn the power off as well the -p
option exists for this purpose.

hth,

Doug