On 9/25/09, Modulok <modu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if it is possible to setup a striped root partition
> (graid3) and still be able to boot from it. Logically, it doesn't
> sound promising, but has anyone tried this?
>
> Thanks!
> -Modulok-

Remember --

To boot off a distributed RAID, it needs to be known, established,
turned "on" before the kernel loads.
Software raid is turned on after the kernel probes and starts running /etc/rc

Software RAID1 is not striped across disks, so it can be booted from.
All other software RAIDs on the drives are unable to be
individualized, and shouldn't logically be bootable.

I doubt you can do it with graid3 part of the kernel either.  This is
a big advantage over a hardware raid card... the card takes care of
the distribted peices of a file.

Sorry it wasn't a positive answer.