On Sunday, 20 September 2009 12:55:44 Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:15:15 -0400, mfv <mrk...@acm.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After rebuilding FreeBSD for many years I am not able to build a
> > GENERIC kernel for the last few days.  It always stops when
> > compiling acpi.
> >
> > The source code is up to date for 7 -STABLE for i386 on a amd64
> > cpu. I have always been able to recompile a GENERIC kernel since
> > release 5.1 and do not know what I am doing wrong.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > With thanks.
> >
> > Marek
> >
> > The following is the tail end of "make buildkernel":
> >
> > cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -std=c99 -
> > nostdinc -I
> > /usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica
> > -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_ HEADERS -include
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC/opt_global.h -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/a ltq
> > -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-
> > function-growth=1000 -fno-common -g -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> > -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx
> > -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 - ffreestanding -Wall
> > -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmi
> > ssing-prototypes -Wpointer- arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef
> > -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c
> > /usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../i386/acpica/acpi _machdep.c
> > @ ->/usr/src/sys
> > ln: @/sys: Operation not permitted
> > *** Error code 1
>
> Can you wipe our /usr/obj and start with a clean object tree?  You
>  may also have stale build artifacts in /usr/src so something like
>  this might be a good idea:
>
>     # rm -fr /usr/obj/usr
>     # cd /usr/src
>     # make cleandir ; make cleandir

Thanks to all for your comments and insights.

I was finally able to compile a GENERIC kernel by performing radical
surgery:

   1. cd /usr/src/sys
   2. rm -r *
   3. Update source tree using csup
   4. cd /usr/src
   5. make cleanworld
   6. make buildkernel

I did this over three days.  On the third day it finally worked.  My
suspicion is that for some reason my source code was scrambled.

Thanks again for your comments.  Using them as a starting point I
discovered cleanworld and have a better understanding of the compile
process.

Cheers...

Marek