On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, kron24 wrote:
Dne 25.9.2009 14:32, William Bulley napsal(a):
According to Giuseppe Pagnoni<gpagn...@gmail.com> on Fri, 09/25/09 at 03:32:

I am trying to use hal/dbus on a i386 machine with FreeBSD 7.2 (ports
updated to the latest tree snapshot as of yesterday), but despite
spending a full day looking up the handbook, faq, and google, I cannot
make it work properly.  More specifically, when I  use either xfce4 or
xmonad after having enabled dbus/hald in rc.conf:

hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

both window managers become very unresponsive and hang as if hal was
trying to access/mount something.  For example, the terminal may take
*seconds* to display typed in characters and in xfce if you click on
the desktop icons for home directory etc., they don't open up at all
in the thunar file manager (they do though, if you right click on them
and choose 'open').

[edit]

The same problem on my test machine:
 FreeBSD 8.0-RC1
 xfce-4.6.1
 xorg-7.4_2
I usually run it without dbus+hal and it works fine.
With dbus+hal enabled (just for the sake of test)
I experienced the same hangs.

It works here. Can we see your xorg.conf? When you built xorg-server, did you enable hal support?