On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:01:18 +0800 (WST)
Bret Busby <b...@busby.net> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have been interested in installing FreeBSD on my laptop (HP/Compaq
> NX5000, 2MB RAM), in a free 20MB partition.
>
> I noticed that the Linux Format magazine to which I subscribe, in
> Issue 124, comes with FreeBSD 7.2 on the DVD.
>
> >From what I understand, FreeBSD (and possibly all BSD) uses hard
> >disc slices rather than partitions, and therefore cannot
> easily be installed in a free partition, but needs for hard disc
> slices to be used.

A slice is a primary partition in IBM PC terminology. A disk can have
four primary partitions or three primary partitions and an extended
partition. The extended partition can contain logical partitions

> Is it yet possible to install FreeBSD into a hard disc partition,
> rather than needing to install into hard disc slices?

> I have attached a copy of the screenshot showing the partition table;

Attachments are stripped.

> I wanted to install FreeBSD into sda8.

Assuming that's a logical partition, then no. If you have less than
three primary partitions, you might be able to delete the logical
partition, shrink the extended partition and convert the free space into
a primary partition.