On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 05:06:34PM +0100, Jeronimo Calvo wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Scenario: 3 hds, 1 of them with a NTFS partition and loads of media on
> it, I was thinking to activate ntfs3g under Freebsd 7.2 STABLE, but
> since Im having this partition since a while... and i will no need to
> have it on this FS, what you recommed for moving this partition into
> ufs format... to make it 100% reliable? what steps will you do?

I would suggest you create the UFS filesystem, then tar up the files
in the NTFS partition that you want to move and then untar that
on the FreeBSD UFS (or UFS2) filesystem.    You might have to
install a tar utility on the MS system.

You can also just mount the NTFS file system on FreeBSD and then
do a massive copy of the files you want in to the UFS[2] filesystem.
In both the case of doing a tar or a mass copy (cp) wildcards are good.

Hopefully you have the files on the NTFS organized reasonably
in directories.    If you don't and they are interspersed with
lots of files you do not want to copy, then it can get tedious
but you can still do it.  It will just need much more manual
attention.

////jerry