On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:09:51 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Polytropon wrote:
> >> So far, I have been unable to dump the / slice, not even with the -L
> >> option.
> >
> > Always keep in mind: Use dump only on unmounted partitions.
>
> That is unnecessary.  The -L option is there just for dumping mounted
> filesystems.

You're right, but -L does require a certain time to create the
snapshot. Of course that's not problematic when you need to do
this only once. In other situations, especially when you're able
to boot from something else than the system you want to clone,
using the "pure" unmounted partitions is more convenient. This
is only my very individual opinion. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany