On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Grant Peel <gp...@thenetnow.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For the past few months I have been researching methods to create a storage
> enclosure, perferably with out spending many 10s of k's of $'s.
>
> The intent here is to connect about 10 Web servers, each of them hosting
> about 200 domains, to a central storage system to house users home
> directories.
>
> I am still looking for feedback regarding what level of hardware ( how much
> RAM , cpu bus speed etc) people might be using for a similar setup.
>
> The end idea is to lead FreeBSD on the storage system, create one huge
> /home directory, export it via NFS and share that on all the Web machines.
>
> It might be worth noting that the Web machines host a full array of
> software, i.e. Mail, Web, MySQL, PHP etc.
>
> Does anyone use a similar setup? What kind of I/O bottlenecks are created?

Your questions cannot be answer specifically because they do not contain
enough info.  Here is what I chose to do in a similar but smaller enviro.

1.  This a good place for virtualization.  FreeBSD jails are the most
efficient form that I'm aware of including XEN.  Jails have limitations XEN
doesn't however.
2.  High load DB's shouldn't be virtualized.
3.  EZjails port helps alot!
4.  Machine specs would depend on system load, you've given no indication
other than apps.
5.  You should preplan backup and failover setup.  Heartbeat, CARP, rdiff,
and other utilities should help here.

--
Adam Vande More