On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, chr...@uvic.ca wrote:

I discovered that compiling all ports on the relevant machine made it
compile and start. Isn't it odd that the ones compiled on a slightly
different i386 machine didn't?

Not really. There are lots of ways for two "slightly" different machines to be really different.

Anyway, the mouse still doesn't work in X, and from what I'm hearing, it's possible to get the mouse to work in X without it, so I am going to get rid of hal.

Or you could fix your configuration.

By the way, any ideas on why the mouse input mightn't work in X? It's a
usb mouse, but moused in text mode works with it.

Your xorg.conf probably has outdated options in it. But it's hard to tell without seeing it.