On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, chr...@uvic.ca wrote:
Created a new xorg.conf since it's working with the autoconfig now.

And what is in it?

Only this:

Section "ServerFlags"
       option  "AutoAddDevices"        "off"
       option  "AllowEmptyInput"       "off"
EndSection

and nothing else.

It does indeed appear broken. The keyboard and mouse still work, though,
which doesn't make any sense to me. I don't have any InputDevice sections,
as you can see, so if hal isn't configuring the keyboard and mouse, what
is?

X, just like it's doing for the monitor and video card. Those two lines pretty much say "ignore hal and use the standard keyboard and mouse drivers".