On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:21 AM, Bernt Hansson wrote:

Aflatoon Aflatooni said the following on 2009-10-01 19:17:
What is needed in order to run nntp?

INN https://www.isc.org/software/inn
A faq for INN is at http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html

Diablo gttp://www.openusenet.org/diablo
A faq for diablo is at the above address.

DNews http://www.netwinsite.com/dnews.htm

Typhoon (not free/open) http://www.highwinds-software.com/

And if the needs are small, one might be able to get away with just running leafnode. Leafnode is *not* a full NNTP server, but for small networks with limited needs, it might be sufficient.

I'm not familiar at all with Typhoon and Diablo. The last time I used DNews (a very very long time ago) it had some really nice design features that made it appropriate for situations between what one would use leafnode and INN, but it was buggy (this was a long time ago, those bugs have probably been fixed). INN, of course, is the sendmail, of Usenet servers.

Cheers,

-j