On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Nerius Landys wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys.  I had a close look at both suggestions.

After further experimentation I found that this line in rc.conf:

 usbd_enable="YES"

was causing the mouse pointer not to work in Xorg.  Simply removing
that line, all works perfectly.

Huh. usbd went away at some point around 6.4, so that line shouldn't do anything. I think.

 So my end-result rc.conf is:

 defaultrouter="192.168.0.254"
 hostname="tweety.i"
 ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.5  netmask 255.255.255.0"
 sshd_enable="YES"
 # added by xorg-libraries port
 local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"
 hald_enable="YES"
 dbus_enable="YES"

I found that adding the moused start just adds more confusion,
especially because moused is already started automatically because of,
I guess, the hald.

I just hope I'm not missing out on not having usbd_enable.

Kinda confusing stuff, I'm sure it's smoother in 7.x or 8.0.