On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Polytropon wrote:

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:09:51 +0000, Glen Barber <glen.j.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
You should see these lines in /etc/crontab:

# Perform daily/weekly/monthly maintenance.
1       3       *       *       *       root    periodic daily
15      4       *       *       6       root    periodic weekly
30      5       1       *       *       root    periodic monthly

You can set the MAILTO environment variable in /etc/crontab to mail to
an alternate address if needed.

Another way is to edit /etc/mail/aliases and forward mail
to root to your preferred account, e. g.

        root: myuser

Note that "recompiling" sendmail's files is neccessary,

To be more precise, rebuilding the aliases file.

and sendmail needs to be restarted. It is explained at the top of Makefile in the /etc/mail directory. It's quite easy. :-)

But 'newaliases' is easier yet. Is restarting sendmail after newaliases really necessary? I change aliases so rarely I've never really noticed.