Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldro...@pldrouin.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone explain me in which cases it is useful to enable
> hyperthreading on a machine running FreeBSD 8.0 and in which other cases
> it is not a good idea? Is that possible that hyperthreading is
> disadvantageous unless the number of active (non-sleeping) threads is
> really high?
>
> For example, if I have an i7 CPU with 4 physical cores and that I run
> some multi-threaded code that has only 4 threads, it will run almost
> always (twice) slower with hyperthreading enabled than when I disable it
> in the BIOS. If I understand correctly, hyperthreading has the advantage
> of being able to do CPU context switching faster than the OS, but it
> does this context switching systematically instead of only when
> requested, so it slows things down unless the number of running
> (non-sleeping) threads is greater or equal to let say the number of
> physical threads x 1.5-1.75.

I can't speak to the technical explanation, but I can give you my real-
world experience.

We asked this same question where I worked and had the time and ability
to test it.  What we found:

* With hyperthreading on, workstations were more responsive to concurrent
  tasks.  They weren't particularly faster at executing, but there were
  less incidents of a background task causing the UI to stall or stutter.
* pgbench showed anywhere from 0% - 15% increased throughput.  Kind of
  pathetic, but we never saw a workload on PostgreSQL that was hurt by
  turning hyperthreading on.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com