On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, jeffry killen wrote:

Now I have the hard disk I want to recover mounted but please for give me
for being in the learning phase, but how to I cd on to this drive?

I mounted it using the suggested 'mount -r (in this case ad12s1d) /var'
now how do I actually read it?

What you've done there is mount your salvage drive over your running system's /var. That's probably going to give you problems, possibly very quickly. Just umounting the incorrect /var is probably not going to be enough. You might have to reboot.

Once that's cleared up, use a mountpoint that's not doing anything. /mnt is commonly used for that.

mount -r /dev/ad12s1d /mnt

Then /mnt contains the salvage drive's var filesystem:

cd /mnt
ls